Tuesday, August 30, 2016
Okay. Here's another installment on the Polish movie poster front. (You're welcome.)
The story here is that a long, long, long while back, I came across this site with a veritable butt-load of Polish movie posters on it. I thought the posters were beautiful and intriguing, and because they felt so different from your average American poster, I wondered how they'd look alongside American (or at least English-language) counterparts. So, I left the site owner a note and borrowed every last one of 'em.
This here's the fourth set of ten (one more set to go after this). Each poster duo is shown with the American/English language one first and Polish one right below it.
And... Polish Rosemary's Baby freaks me the hell out. Just saying.
Have a look.
Friday, August 12, 2016
Here's the rules: You get, um, five points for every quote where you know what movie it's from (without looking anything up), and you get double points for every one where you know which character said it. Ooh, and triple points if you know the the name of the actor who played the character, on top of everything else (wow!).
Now this adds up to a lot of points, and you could potentially walk away from this whole thing very highly pointified, and since everybody loves points, I wish you the best of luck. But here's the bad news. Most of these quotes are obscure as hell and not easy to grock. The labels at the bottom of the post might (might) help you out some.
So here we go:
1. "Love to prove that, wouldn't ya? Get your name into the National Geographic."
2. "A naked American man stole my balloons."
3. "Some big, hard-boiled egg gets a look at a pretty face and bang, he cracks up and goes sappy!"
4. "Now I'm going in there to waste some teachers! Are you with me?!"
5. "I don't care if he killed a hundred people! We are scientists not moralists!"
6. "Oh, I wish we'd stuck to the road; these shoes just aren't made for hiking!"
7. "I'm only a head, and you're whatever you are. Together we're strong. More powerful than any of them."
8. "So, you have wounded me. But I must grow a new claw. Well and good, for I can do it in a DAY! But will you grow new lives when I have taken yours from YOU?!"
9. "Sir, I suddenly find your cognac as distasteful as your manner."
10. "Have you ever heard of insect politics? Neither have I. Insects... don't have politics."
(Well, well? How many'd you get?)